February 6, 2008

Just read: The Skull Mantra

Several people have asked what I've been reading, so I will try posting an uber-brief summary of things I am reading and see how it goes.

An engaging murder mystery about the struggles of Tibetan people and life in a laogai, Chinese labor camp. The story begins with the discovery of a decapitated American body by a Tibetan work gang high in the mountains of Tibet. The plot follows the investigation of one of the slaves who is promoted to the investigator and has a myriad of twists and turns like every good murder mystery should... Sprinkles of history and politics of the region make it feel real.

I plan to make a trip to Nepal and Tibet in the coming months. That's why it was interesting to me...


If you are interested in understanding the plight of the Tibetan people and how purchasing things made in China supports a dangerous regime, I recommend browsing the website: www.boycottmadeinchina.org. Or download the pdf version of Buying the Dragon's Teeth.

No comments: