August 19, 2008

birthday 33

Happy Birthday to me! 33 years... Oiyoiyoi.

Happy Birthday Mad Scientist What a year. Last year I was just leaving Hiroshima, Japan and eating a satsuma dinner in Kagoshima. And today I'm in Luang Prabang, Lao PDR. Who could have possibly guessed - certainly not me. I love the adventure of infinite possibilities that life affords.

I received a special lunch of naem khao from the library and a birthday cake with "Happy Birthday Mad Scientist" written on it. Spent the afternoon cleaning our new aquarium. Couldn't have been a better day. Well, except seeing my family and friends in Colorado. I miss you all! Library Staff on my birthday

The evening started with a surprise party back at my house. So humbling to be greeted at the front door with "Happy Birthday" and singing. Oiyoiyoi. Presents of shirts and scarves. Heaps of food and drinks. 3 more birthday cakes. Oi. I don't deserve such wonderful friends.

Off to my favorite place, the Muong Swa for some lamvong lao dancing and the ubiquitous Beerlao! Limbo dancing. Line dancing. Evol even got up on stage and sang a song for me. Oiyoiyoi. One of the birthday cakes came along for yet another Happy Birthday singing. Lao people are crazy. I love it.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I get them from Saiphone.

Thanks everyone for a wonderful day! And thanks for all the incredible emails from friends far away.

No comments: