August 29, 2007

the Minshuku Jomon

I did not make reservations before leaving for the island. Perhaps dangerous or perhaps I was getting in the adventurous spirit of the island. I could always camp somewhere I figured, then I learned the nickname of this place. The island where it rains 35 days a month.

So I walked to one of the closer places to sleep called the Minshuku Jomon. This hideous creature is what greeted me at the door... Shokka!My mind immediately flashed to the gimp from Pulp Fiction... You have to realize, I didn't make a reservation. I wasn't entirely sure I was walking into the correct place. The big sign out front said Jomon in Japanese, but half the things in this town are named Jomon after the famous Jomon Sugi tree... A small sign on the driveway said Family Restaurant in katakana and English but nowhere did I see a sign that read Minshuku Jomon. Walking in to a quiet, empty building and the first thing you see is someone wearing a black and gold mask scares the shit out of you.

Turns out it was Hide, the owners son, who was goofing around and didn't hear me come in. We exchanged names, he was Shokka, a famous Japanese villain and I was Superman, a famous American superhero. haha We had a good laugh.

Kanchou!The head chef at the Minshuku Jomon is a guy named Okanyi who took it upon himself to teach me the finer points of Japanese culture. Things like the Kanchou - sneak up behind them in an onsen. How to eat a fried flying fish - no, no, no superuman... And of course, what to say for delicious food - Shin ken ume!

These guys were instant friends. We ate breakfast at the local place. They took me for kakigori. Took me to the public bath and one of the local hot springs. Got me takoyaki to try. Organized my surprise hiking trip. Took me for coffee on the way back to the jetfoil.

I hope I get a chance to go back to Yakushima for no other reason than to drink more beer and shochu with these guys. Thanks fellas!

No comments: