March 19, 2008

Bureerum

Bureerum, not a mixed drink, it's a small village in northern Thailand you probably won't find on a map.

An took me to meet some friends of hers in Bureerum, a great trip to a little town in the Isaan countryside. We hopped a few buses and met her friend Jak and her adorable three-year-old daughter Namfon. The four of us rode the over sized tuk-tuk into Bureerum and met the friends where I was given the standard tests. Can the farang speak Thai and can it eat spicy food... Well, I must have passed both tests because they decided to buy me beer and let me sleep in their home.

It was a rather cool afternoon of 39 degree Celsius (102 degrees Fahrenheit). We piled into the back of the pickup and went to the river for swimming - probably because I was just sitting there sweating. Floating around on inner tubes on a river was heaven for this farang. What a lovely afternoon eating food in the shade along the river and swimming.

Doan and Justin in BureerumPim in Bureerum

An in BureerumNamfon and Jak on the way to Bureerum

Dinner was it's own adventure. Ant egg soup. But that's a different blog entry...

No comments: