April 22, 2008

Annapurna Base Camp

Sun sets on Machapuchre and dirty socks After crossing Thorung La confidence runs high, we had already been higher than we were going. The hike up to Machapuchre Base Camp from Himalaya is the last steep section we have to climb. After a lunch break at MBC the last push up to ABC feels relatively easy.

Got a good scare in an avalanche run out area, I heard a crash and looked up to see a cloud of rocks rushing toward me... From above I could hear Hari yelling for me to run. And run I did, I was scared! Turned out it was a quite tiny rock slide and the ledge above me stopped all the rocks, but when your guide yells for you to run - YOU RUN! Hari tells me a couple years ago a German guy and his guide were killed in this very spot, which is why he is so nervous. Good to know that even when I think I'm tired from twenty days of trekking I can still run with a 15 kg pack strapped to my back...

Porters going back down the valley Arriving in ABC felt a bit like arriving at the moon. Tons of fog and a barren landscape. We knew we were surrounded by 8000m peaks but we couldn't see them... Luckily, we were rewarded with a perfectly clear morning to watch the sunrise.

Hopefully Sandie will post the photo of all the trekker friends together.

No comments: