April 12, 2008

Thorong La

5416 meters. 17,769 feet. Likely the highest I will ever be in my life.

The days leading up to Thorong La are filled with so many Altitude Mountain Sickness conversations about people getting sick and turning around or getting evacuated by helicopter it's difficult not be hypersensitive to how you're feeling. Nervousness dominates the mood in base camp.

As we start the steep trek out of camp my mind is full of doubts; I'm sure how I feel, I'm sure I can do it. Am I starting to feel AMS or am I just being paranoid? Do I not feel well because I didn't sleep much, it's 4 am, freezing cold and I'm going up a steep trail? Of course I feel like hell!

We get up early and start up the trail just as the sun is rising. Anyone who has been trekking (you 14er folks back in CO) will commiserate with today. My heart is pounding and my lungs are burning but my feet are barely moving. How can this be? But at the same time the scenery being fed to my eyes is amazing. Moments like these define the word breathtaking.

Annapurna Trekking Annapurna Trekking


Hours of slogging uphill are rewarded with a brilliant view of the Himalayas. One side Manang and one side Mustang. We made it!
Thorong La Pass


Unfortunately for our knees, the day was only half over at that point...

No comments: