November 25, 2007

Cock Fighting

Went to the weekend market, which was amazing in and of itself, but my friend and I happened upon a line of roosters in cages. Around the corner was a bunch of shouting, I realized they were cocks for fighting...

Cock fighting in Bangkok Pangs of animal rights and animal cruelty kept flashing through my head, but I had to remind myself to observe. This was real Thai culture in action that we had stumbled upon. Lasted a lot longer than I would have guessed, the single match lasted thirty minutes at least. Lots of shouting from guys watching. Feather flew. Money changed hands. In the end, I'm not even sure which cock won, they both looked exhausted.

I had heard that they attach razors or knifes to the cocks legs but this was not the case today. Perhaps it was just a training fight, which is why it lasted so long and ended without a clear winner. I really have no idea.

1 comment:

Sancho said...

Training fight? In my experience w/ roosters, they don't learn any new tricks, just get bigger and stronger.

ohhh, take it easy - I grew up with chickens, and invariably, one of those chicks turns out to be a boy - what do you THINK happens when they grow up and there is more than one? That's right - one gets beat up and given away...