November 7, 2007

Shiretoko National Park

Me in Shiretoko National Park

The name Shiretoko comes from the Ainu expression, "the end of the earth". I am now certain that the indigenous Ainu people were referring to the complicated set of bus and train transfers required to get here. Unfortunately, right now is between seasons, the majority of the autumn colors are gone and the icebergs have not yet shown up on the coast, so the park was mostly closed.

Shiretoko National Park I did find one trail that was open down to a lighthouse from the nature center. Steep ocean side cliffs protect the national park from bergs (and people). In the spring there is a waterfall that comes down the canyon near the lighthouse, it is just a dribble right now. Shiretoko National Park

The nearest town, Utoro was also mostly closed. Of all of the hotels, YH and minshuku in town, only two were open. And I was the only one staying there... Actually I was quite content to have the park and minshuku to myself.

This is one place I must return, and next time I will rent a car or motorcycle. If its summertime, I will trek through the chain of mountains. If its wintertime, I will ski through the park and watch the bergs arriving at the coast.

1 comment:

Sancho said...

Dude, you are hard to keep up with! I was just wondering the other day how much longer you would stay in Japan. Beautiful stuff!

When do you go to Laos?