November 6, 2007

Sa-bai dee

Its official, I am off to Laos! I will be in Laos for up to three months as a volunteer, teaching English to the Buddhist monks. I will be staying in Luang Prabang, the former capital of Laos known as "the Kingdom of a Million Elephants", which is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site since 1995. Wow!

Hopefully my main source of agony will be negotiating with tuk tuks and escaping mosquitoes but no doubt language will be a struggle until I am able to learn some Lao. It is a former French colony, but hopefully I will not need much of that French (I didn't learn) to squeak by.

But mostly I am excited to do some traveling that will benefit the local people as well.

Please send advice on Laos?! Where to go, what to do, language, food, books... Anything!

Off to the land of ant egg soup and fermented fish sauces...

Pop gan mai!

No comments: