November 27, 2007

Day one in Laos

I wasn't nervous about landing in Laos like I was in Bangkok, somehow I could sense the laid back vibe before I even set foot here.

The pace here is so laid back and friendly, I immediately felt comfortable. After meeting the people I will be volunteering with over a fried rice lunch. Photo of my first, of presumably many, beerlao along the bank of the Mekong river.
Taking a Beerlao break on the Mekong

After meeting some other volunteers over dinner, the inducted me in the Laos disco. I certainly wasn't thinking about discos when I signed up for this. Place is crazy! There was hip-hop dancing to modern Laos music. Line dancing. Laos version of salsa dancing. Sad slow songs. All while being at least two feet taller than anyone in the entire place. Plus there were massages while peeing in the WC. Too much info for one paragraph? That's kind of how the evening felt to me...

Met so many wonderful people at the disco last night, I hope that I can remember your monosyllabic names the next time we meet. Cheers!

1 comment:

Sancho said...

Just think - this is just the place they bring the newbies! I can't imagine what it will be like when they take you to the REAL club!

;) ha!

I like the beerlao by the river. Wish I could be there to have one with you.