September 17, 2007

Japan for the Man

Talked with some lawyers about how to get a work visa. It was actually an interesting meeting. Yina found the volunteer lawyer service at the local community center. Two lawyers, an interpreter, my friend Yina and I talking about how to get me a job in Japan; weird to have 4 people talking about you in the same room and not be able to understand a word they are saying.

Ive heard bad rumors about the big 4 language schools: NOVA, GEOS, Aeon and Berlitz. Especially NOVA. This meeting confirmed that. The language program JET through the embassy appears to be the exception, but they only do interviews abroad. It sounds like a much better option is to pursue an engineering job consistent with my background.

You need to submit a massive collection of information about yourself, including original college diplomas. You also need to have a second copy of everything that has been translated to Japanese.

The interpreter offered to translate all of my documents for free. This is a big deal, considering a professional translator would charge 30 yen per word. With 20+ pages of documents that converts to about $1500. Ouch.

So my current plan is to enjoy traveling around Japan for another month and keep an eye out for potential jobs. Then I can apply for engineering jobs, have some understanding of what I am getting into and return on a work visa someday.

Anyone with info on working in Japan please send advice! Likewise, anyone looking to work in Japan feel free to contact me, I am happy to share what lessons I have learned.

1 comment:

mhrb said...

hellow!Mr.Justin, it is Yosihisa good evening.
Did you come for USA? You arrived at Ooita.
The dream that you look for will be found if I surely do your best.
I should be able to meet you again.