September 8, 2007

Kumamoto Castle

I visited the third best castle in Japan today! There is no doubt that Japan is a hierarchical society... Every tourist site I visit has multiple ratings and they rate everything. One of the top 100 views in all of Japan! Third largest lion lantern in Kyushu! What cracks me up is that everyone seems to know them all and quote them to each other.

Kumamoto Castle is a beautiful six story castle surrounded by an imposing complex of stone walls, moats and turrets - the whole complex is stuck in the middle of downtown Kumamoto. It was built back in the 1600s when I imagine there were a lot less buildings; now it is completely surrounded by skyscrapers and modern life. The stone walls and multi-story turrets create an authoritative complex. You were not getting into this castle unless they wanted you inside. I can imagine how serious the battles here must have been but I cannot help but think about rock-climbing... What a beautiful rock wall with perfect hand holds... Do you think I would get in trouble? I don't even think the ignorant gaijin trick would get me out of that one...

The grand hall next to the castle had an exhibition of traditional traditional Noh theatre. On display were a bunch of antique masks used in traditional Noh theatre and artisans carving wood for tourists to watch. Apparently, Noh actors and musicians don't rehearse together, they study under a master independently. So the final performance is always a bit unscripted. I have yet to see a Noh or Kabuki show, I figured it would be more enjoyable when I can understand Japanese a little better, but its on my top 100 list of things to do in Japan.

No comments: