September 24, 2007

Osaka Human Rights Museum

As a 6 foot 1 inch tall white American it is kind of hard to blend in while traveling in Japan... I thought it would be interesting to see the Japanese interpretation of prejudice and discrimination, so I went to the Osaka Human Rights Museum.

B&W Photos at the Osaka Human Rights Museum Museum is divided into four sections. First section is human rights today. Focused mainly on the right to learn and the right to work. The work section seemed especially poignant to me given that I had been trying to find a job...

Second section deals with our sense of values; those desires (largely ethnocentric) that give a base to our actions in life. Desire for job security, desire for academic status, desire for family togetherness, desire to be beautiful...

Third section is about the activism of people who are discriminated against in Japan. Of course, universal themes of HIV/AIDS, victims of pollution, people with disabilities, and homeless people were discussed but I was most interested to learn about the special issues in Japan: Korean residents in Japan, Okinawans, the Ainu, the Buraku, Women and female roles in Japan, Hansen`s disease survivors, and victims of Minamata disease in Japan.

Fourth section is about human rights and you. Since I was the only person in the museum that morning, I sat and talked with a couple of the guides that could speak English-highly educational discussion for a couple hours.

It definitely is an odd feeling to be the one who is different. I have never traveled to a place where I just plain didn't fit it in, it is eye opening. Its not like I`m the first American to go to Japan, but still people stare on the subways. People avoid sitting next to me on the bus. Girls on the subway point and blush and giggle.

I am certainly not complaining, Japan has been a wonderful experience. The people are the most friendly I have ever met (we Americans could certainly learn something).

No comments: