September 23, 2007

Massage that Wagyu!

It`s world famous beef time! Mmm Kobe beef... Ranchers massaging their Wagyu cattle every day? What is this craziness? Is it really that good or is it just hype?

Kobe beef lunch For lack of a better way to find a restaurant, I asked a few people on the street where they recommended to find the best Kobe beef steak. I expected this to be like asking a Frenchman what the best cheese was and where to find it. Impossible! On the contrary, I got several educated suggestions and settled on a place named Renga-tei that sounded fun and within walking distance.

It was a basement joint that looked like a 60`s lounge from the window. You know, the kind where swingers hang out. What was I getting myself into?

last two bites of Kobe beef To call is simply delicious or wonderful does not do it justice. It is so tender you don`t need teeth, it literally reduces to juicy fibers right there on your tongue. Absolutely amazing. Now you have to realize I'm not much of a beef person. I eat steak a couple times a year, and coming from beef state like Colorado this is not very much. For me to say that a steak was absolutely amazing, is well, a big thing. Thanks for the b-day present Noodlefer!

Some details so you can try it at home. A piece of paper is placed on the beef and then is covered with a copper hemisphere for perfect grilling. Garlic is sliced and grilled and then placed on top of the beef. Served with lightly grilled veggies, a salad and several steak dipping sauces. I hate being an engineer, I`m still trying to figure out how it all works.

No comments: