October 9, 2007

friends rescue me for lunch. and then tofu tacos.

Its an emotional place Hokkaido. Strange, unexpected things remind me of Dad here. I was writing emails home, feeling a bit homesick this morning... And just then Tomo and Chiharu appear to rescue me for lunch! We took a simple lunch at Eileys and headed to the grocery store for tofu burrito ingredients. Somehow I got volunteered to make dinner tonight... I chose tofu tacos since its a simple recipe and I figured Japanese taste buds would appreciate a new tofu experience. Problem is no tortillas. No salsa. No brewers yeast either. So I figured we would make our own salsa and tortillas and improvise on the yeast.

Tomo jumped on the tortillas and used crushed corn chips as a base. Tasted like grainy, corn crepes. Delicious! Oishii deshita! Yo jumped on the guacamole and made the best guacamole (aside from my mothers of course) that I have ever tasted. My crazy assistant, Chiharu, ate all the chips before she finished the salsa. I worked on the tofu, it was a hit!

A little short on food for four hungry cooks, we headed to Yo`s house for some drinks and to meet up with Yuki.

Thanks for inviting me into your homes today everyone. One of my favorite days in Japan and somehow I only have one terrible photo.

ゆきさんとスペルマンとちはるさん

Tomo, Yo, Yuki, please send me some photos.

No comments: