October 5, 2007

Zenpo-ji

Wooden statue at Zenpo-ji temple Everything is wooden in this shrine complex. Intricate, beautiful, weathered wood. I do not know the name of this obviously important sculpture nor the significance of the rope sandals hanging from the fence. [aunt ruth and grandpa jack would love this place]

Up the hill is the hall of 500? monks. Since it is an active monastery, many monks in black robes were watching me climb the steps. In my best Japanglish, I inquired if I could see the temple and speak with a monk. To learn more of the history of the place and about Buddhism... I was rather rudely told to leave. No doubt my curiosity was rude behavior that I did not understand. I quickly left giving my most sincere apologies... Sorry zenpo-ji.

On the other side of the hill is a pool famous for its purity and its carp with human faces on their heads. I struggled to take a picture of one for an hour, without success.

No comments: